Match Reports‎ > ‎

Intermediate Semi-Final Replay

posted Oct 13, 2011, 3:05 PM by Unknown user
Ruan 3-10    Corofin 2-6

    Ruan will play Éire Óg in the final of the Intermediate Hurling Championship following this comfortable win over neighbours, Corofin, at Shannon on Sunday evening.
Considered a little fortunate to have earned a second chance, there was no disputing their superiority on this occasion. 
A dream start saw them race into a 1-3 to 0-0 lead after just eight minutes and by the mid-point of the half they were 1-3 to 0-2 ahead. 
A Corofin goal from Kevin Heagney eleven minutes from the break suggested that Corofin were about to launch a rally but three unanswered points for Ruan left them 1-6 to 1-3 in front at half-time when the score was 1-6 to 1-3.
Lively corner-forward Brendan Lyons had the winners in front after just 20 seconds and John Punch and Colin Donoghue quickly added like scores. Indeed, Donoghue’s performance in this tie was one of the main reason’s for Ruan’s victory. He contributed 1-3 from play on the day.
Donoghue had Ruan’s opening goal in the eighth minute after sustained pressure and a further three minutes went by before Gerry Quinn opened Corofin’s account from a long-range free.
At the end of the first quarter John Punch pounced for goal number two for the winners but Corofin fought back and after Jamie Malone had pointed, Kevin Heagney had their first goal to leave the score at 2-3 to 1-3. Corofin, however, failed to build on this and the remainder of the half saw Ruan enjoy the upper hand and add points from Michael Vaughan, Aidan Lynch - this was a great score following a Brendan Lyons cross - and John Punch from a free to take a six point lead to the break.
A Kevin Heagney effort flashed across the Ruan goal early in the second half before Colin Donoghue and Aidan Lynch had points to extend the winners’ lead to eight with 20 minutes remaining. The margin was still six as the game entered the last 10 minutes and by now ,Corofin had introduced Darren Malone, Diarmuid Daly and Eamonn Dunne in an effort to get the upperhand.
Any slim hopes of a Corofin rally were killed off four minutes from time when Brendan Lyons had his side’s third goal. Stephen Heagney goaled from a free in injury time but it was too late and Ruan had deservingly progressed to the final.
Centre-back Jonathon Clohessy and flankers, Killian Ryan and Darragh Roughan, were prominent throughout for the winners, while goalkeeper Pakie Roughan, Colin Donoghue, Michael Vaughan and Brendan Lyons were others to impress on the day.
For a disappointing Corofin, Darragh Shannon, Kevin Heagney and Jamie Malone did best.

Ruan: Pakie Roughan; Gary Bell, Niall O’Connor, Leon Quirke; Killian Ryan, Jonathon Clohessy, Darragh Roughan; Eoin Hanrahan, Tadhg Hanrahan; Aidan Lynch (0-2), Colin Donoghue (1-3), Michael Vaughan (0-2); Patrick Keegan, John Punch (1-2), Brendan Lyons (1-1).
Subs: Caimin Howard for E Hanrahan (inj 40 minutes); Alan Bell for Punch (56 minutes); Robbie O’Loughlin for Keegan (58 minutes), Damian Brohan for Quirke (58 minutes).

Corofin: Patrick Burke; Martin Tierney, Luke O’Loughlin, Keith O’Loughlin; Dara Clancy, Gerry Quinn (0-1), Darragh Shannon; Stephen Heagney (1-1), Damian Ryan; Jamie Malone (0-2) Declan Lee, Neil Killeen; Kevin Heagney (1-2), Eamonn Malone, Killian Neylon.
Subs: Darren Malone for Lee (half-time); Diarmuid Daly for D Malone (inj 42 minutes); Eamonn Dunne for E Malone (46 minutes); Donnacda Kelleher for K O’Loughlin (58 minutes); Declan Stack for Neylon (58 minutes).

Referee: Ger Hoey, Killanena.