Match Reports‎ > ‎

Ruan are Co Intermediate Champions

posted Oct 25, 2012, 3:00 PM by Unknown user

Ruan 2-13  Crusheen 1-12

    When Crusheen drew level with favourites Ruan at the turn of the final quarter in Sunday’s ­Intermediate Hurling Championship final at O’Garney Park in Sixmilebridge, Ruan supporters in the big attendance had a few worrying moments

However, their favourites responded impressively and they had the better of matters in the last 10 minutes when they scored four unanswered points, to claim the title amidst great scenes of celebration.
The win bridged a 34-year gap to their last success at this level and helped ease the pain of having tasted defeat in the last two finals.
This was a most entertaining game, which produced plenty of excitement and some great scores. Crusheen certainly made their more fancied opponents fight all the way for victory and while Ruan merited their success, Crusheen played their part in providing the big crowd with plenty to cheer about.
    A good start is half the battle, it is said, and this certainly proved to be the case on Sunday. The game was only in the second minute when full-forward Aidan Lynch, the game’s top scorer, won possession from an Eoin Hanrahan delivery. He turned past his marker, Brendan McMahon, before drilling a powerful effort to the net. He added a point in the fifth minute and Ruan were on their way.
By the 10th minute it was 1-3 to 0-3 after Crusheen had hit back with good points from Dara O’Doherty and Niall Fitzgibbon. Lynch was causing a lot of problems for the Crusheen defence and, in the 19th minute, he played a huge part in his team’s second goal when he won possession and laid the ball off to Brendan Lyons, who found the net. This was the signal for Crusheen to switch Shaun Dillon from centre to full-back in an effort to curb Lynch. 
    It was now 2-4 to 0-3 but Crusheen didn’t panic and they hit back for the next five scores with points from O’Doherty (two frees), Niall Fitzgibbon, Rory Halpin and Patrick O’Grady to leave two between the sides as half-time approached. Crusheen had the final score of the half when Tadhg Hanrahan pointed to leave the score at 2-5 to 0-8.
For the second half, Ruan introduced Caimin Howard and he moved to full-forward with Aidan Lynch on the 40’ in place of Colin Donoghue. They again made a lively start and had points from Lynch, Michael Vaughan and substitute Howard to stretch their lead to six points, 2-8 to 0-8.
As in the first half, Crusheen hit back and ­following points from Dara O’Doherty (two frees) and Thomas Vaughan, they struck for a goal from Alan Tuohy to cut Ruan’s lead to the minimum. At the turn of the final quarter, O’Doherty ­converted a 30m free to tie up the game, 2-9 to 1-12 and the vociferous Ruan support was silenced temporarily. When Aidan Lynch’s effort from a 35m free was blocked, there were some anxious faces in the crowd but a minute later the new champions were back in front when Jonathon Clohessy converted a 65’. Caimin Howard quickly followed with a good point and the Ruan following were in full voice again.
    The game was still in the melting pot but Crusheen just could not find a way through a powerful Ruan defence in which Leon Quirke at corner-back and the half-backs of Killian Ryan, Jonathon Clohessy and Darragh Roughan were outstanding. Six minutes from the end, Brendan Lyons put three points between the teams but Ruan followers didn’t relax until Lyons made the margin four in the second minute of injury time.
Seconds later, they were jumping for joy as the final whistle sparked off wild celebrations as Ruan returned to senior ranks.
This was a great team effort from Ruan in which Jonathon Clohessy, Killian Ryan, Leon Quirke, the Hanrahan brothers, Aidan Lynch, Brendan Lyons and Caimin Howard played key roles.
Tony McMahon, Shaun Dillon, Alan Tuohy, Niall Fitzgibbon and Dara O’Doherty were prominent for Crusheen. Adding to Ruan’s enjoyment, their centre-back, Jonathon Clohessy, was named man of the match.
After the game, Clare GAA chairman Michael O’Neill presented the cup to Ruan captain, goalkeeper Pakie Roughan.

 Pakie Roughan (captain); Gary Bell, Niall O’Connor, Leon Quirke; Killian Ryan, Jonathon Clohessy, Darragh Roughan; Tadhg Hanrahan, Eoin Hanrahan; John Punch, Colin Donoghue, Michael Vaughan; Patrick Keegan, Aidan Lynch, Brendan Lyons.
Subs: Caimin Howard for Donoghue (half-time) and Damian Brohan for Punch (55 minutes).
Scorers: Aidan Lynch (1-4, 0-2f), Brendan Lyons (1-3), Tadhg Hanrahan, Caimin Howard (0-2) each, Jonathon Clohessy (0-1 65’).

Crusheen: David McMahon; Donal Dillon (captain), Brendan McMahon, Tony McMahon; Eddie Fogarty, Shaun Dillon, Briain Dillon; Alan Tuohy, Thomas Vaughan; Philip O’Donnell, Niall Fitzgibbon, Rory Halpin; Darragh O’Doherty, Patrick O’Grady, Niall Kearney.
Subs: Conor Hayes for B McMahon (35 minutes) and Youen Horner for O’Donnell (39 minutes). 
Scorers: Darragh O’Doherty (0-6, 5f); Alan Tuohy (1-0); Niall Fitzgibbon (0-3); Thomas Vaughan, Rory Halpin, Patrick O’Grady (0-1 each).

Referee: Jim Hickey, Cratloe.